Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Differences in reference...

So I am beginning my practicum rather late and have been really taken aback so far at the differences in reference between the library I've been working at all year and the library I just started my practicum at!

To explain, the library I work at is VERY small and the staff is also sparse so we are very busy all the time helping out with everything that needs to be done in the library. The library I am doing my practicum at is larger and obviously has a really nice budget. Long story short, the last time I was at the reference desk while doing my practicum the phone rang. A man wanted to know about the population of Jews, historically, in Sicily Italy. My experience has been (at the small library I work at) that I cannot take too long with any one patron. I've actually been criticized where I work because I spent too much time trying to look up a book for a patron. Well...I looked to my desk cohort, who told me to take down the patron's info, then look up the information for him! So I did, and he was very appreciative! The whole thing took about 15 minutes and was immensely enjoyable for me since I never get to do fun stuff like that at my small library.

Just thought I'd share that experience!

No comments: